Register For NSFAS
Register For NSFAS
The Tertiary Education Fund of South Africa (TEFSA) was replaced by the National Student Financial Aid Scheme in 1996.
TEFSA was a non-profit organization that controlled and operated NSFAS from its inception until 2000.
TEFSA was renamed NSFAS in 1999 as it was transformed into a statutory agency.
The scheme is funded by nearly R30 billion in financing from the Department of Finance (in 2018).
The program covers tuition, accommodation, meals and travel for “full-time” students, and tuition fees only for “part-time” students.
There are 3 ways in which you can apply:
METHOD 1: On the NSFAS website (if you wish to apply online, follow the instructions below)
1) Create your myNSFAS account here: https://my.nsfas.org.za/mynsfas/selfservice.html
You will be required to provide the following information when registering an account: username, password, ID number, cellphone number and email address
2) You can then login using your selected username and password
3) Complete the application form by clicking the “apply” button
4) When you have filled in all the required information (do not leave any fields blank), you can upload electronic copies of your supporting documents (as listed below). Once all your documents have been uploaded, click the “submit” button to receive your reference number
METHOD 2: At your closest NYDA Center
1) Visit a NYDA center/ office closest to you
2) A NYDA center worker will explain the application process and provide you with an application form to complete
3) Complete the application form in CAPITAL letters with a black pen and sign it in the allocated spots
4) Hand in your application form and supporting documents (as listed below). Ensure that your supporting documents are certified on the front of the page and not be older than 3 months.
5) You will receive a receipt card with a bar code attached
METHOD 3: At a Financial Aid Office on campus/ computer lab
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document/ ID card (certified copy and electronic copy)
- Unabridged birth certificate (if you do not have an ID document or ID card) (certified copy and electronic copy)
- Parents/ guardians ID documents (certified copy and electronic copy)
- Parents/ guardians death certificate (if applicable) (certified copy and electronic copy)
- Payslips/ employment letters/ pension advice (not older than 3 months) (do not submit SASSA slips. SASSA should be excluded from household income) (certified copy and electronic copy)
- Contact details (cellphone number/ email address where NSFAS can communicate with you throughout the application process, as well as to provide feedback on the outcome of your application)
- NSFAS Consent Form pdf– completed and signed by parents/ guardians
- If disabled, complete and include the NSFAS Disability Annexure A (.pdf)
- If orphaned, complete and include the NSFAS Declaration Form (.pdf) – to be signed by an Isibindi Child Youth Care Worker/ a social worker from the Department of Social Development and submitted to an Isibindi Center/ NYDA office
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact NSFAS directly:
Tel: 0860 067 327
For more info visit Nsfas Website
Unisa Nsfas Application 2023
Very Useful Links