JB Marks Education Trust Fund Bursary 2023-2024
JB Marks Education Trust Fund Bursary
ABOUT THE COMPANY – JB MARKS EDUCATION TRUST FUND
The JB Marks Education Trust Fund was formed in 1997 by the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM), as a means to address the need for empowering NUM members and dependents of NUM members, specifically those studying towards qualifications in the construction, mining and energy sectors.
The Trust was named after John Beaver Marks, a South African activest and leader and strong believer in empowerment and emancipation for workers via education. The Trust’s mission has always been to fund the educational expenses of its members and since its inception has funded over 1000 bursars and awarded over R280 million to more than 2000 beneficiaries.
Most of the funding is received from the Mineworkers Investment Trust (MIT) via Mineworkers Investment Company (MIC) dividends.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE & SELECTION
The JB Marks Education Trust Fund awards bursaries to 200 prospective undergraduate students and 50 post-graduate students each year. The bursary is aimed at paid-up NUM members or prior NUM members who are deceased, disabled, retired or retrenched, as well as their dependents (children and spouse only).
The bursary will cover the following expenses: registration fees, tuition, examination fees, prescribed textbooks, accommodation and meals. They will also provide coverage for access to tutors for extra lessons, capacity building programs and exchange student programs if possible. See Also JB Marks Education Trust Fund Bursary 2023-2024.
Successful candidates will be contacted with an acceptance letter – if you do not receive any correspondence, regard your application as unsuccessful.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- Paid up NUM member or official OR a former member or official (now retired/ disabled/ retrenched)
- Dependant of a NUM member or former member (children and spouses only)
- Studying towards a undergraduate or postgraduate qualification (full-time, part-time or correspondence)
- Studying at a recognised tertiary institute (University or FET College)
- NOT currently in receipt of any other funding
- Postgraduate applicants – an existing JB Marks bursary recipient, continuing with your postgraduate studies within 1 year of completing your undergraduate qualification
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Applications must be done online at: http://jbmarksedutrust.co.za/BurseryApplication.aspx
Alternatively, you may collect a hard copy of the application form at your nearest NUM regional office.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your online application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- Applicants ID document (certified copy)
- NUM member or officials ID document (certified copy)
- NUM member or official’s latest payslip
- Latest academic school results (certified copy)
- Academic acceptance letter confirming that the student is enrolled in studies
Postgraduate students must also submit the following:
- Motivational letter
- Full academic record
- Fee quotation
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the following
Tel: 011 492 0601
Fax: 011 492 0953
Very Useful Links
for more info visit jbmarksedutrust.co.za