Harmony Gold Mining Bursary
Harmony Bursary South Africa 2020 – 2021
ABOUT THE COMPANY – HARMONY
Harmony was founded in 1950 as a gold mining and exploration organisation in South Africa. Today, Harmony is one of the largest gold mining companies across the globe, with mines operating in both South Africa and Papua New Guinea.
The JSE Limited, Berlin Stock Exchange and New York Stock Exchange listed company employs over 32 000 staff across their South African and Papua New Guinea operations.
Harmony was once lease-bound mining operation, but has since expanded into a world-class producer of gold and currently has 1 open-pit operation, numerous surface sources and 9 underground mines in South Africa, as well as a open-pit silver and gold mine in Papua New Guinea.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS OF STUDY & SELECTION
Harmony will be awarding bursaries within core and core-non disciplines, including the following:
- Electrical Engineering (Heavy Current)
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
The Harmony bursary was initiated with the aim of financially assisting students from communities surrounding Harmony’s operations. Bursaries are awarded in various fields each year, dependent on Harmony’s future labour requirements.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted – should you not receive any feedback within 21 days of the application deadline, please regard your application unsuccessful. Interviews will be held at the Harmony office in Randfontein, Gauteng or in Welkom, Free State.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South African citizen
- Completed Matric OR currently in Matric
- Studying OR intend on studying full-time within one of the aforementioned fields of study (entering your 1st/ 2nd/ 3rd/ 4th year of study)
- Studying OR have been accepted to study at a recognised tertiary institution in South Africa
- NOT currently in receipt of any other bursary funding or sponsorship
- In financial need
- Must have achieved the following minimum academic results: 60% (Rating Level 5) for English, Science and Mathematics (NOT Mathematical Literacy)
- Engineering students must have achieved the following minimum academic results: 70% (Rating Level 6) for Science and Mathematics (NOT Mathematical Literacy)
- *Preference will be given to students residing in communities surrounding Harmony Gold’s operations
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Applications must be done online at: https://www.harmony.co.za/bursaries/bursary-application
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation in your online application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Grade 11 final results AND Matric 12 June results, if currently in Matric (certified copies)
- Matric certificate AND full academic transcript, if currently at tertiary level (certified copies)
- Proof of acceptance to study at a tertiary institution
- Testimonial/ employment record of service, if applicable
- Curriculum Vitae
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact Harmony directly:
Contact Person: Evelyn Moalosi (The Bursary Administrator)
Tel: 011 057 910 6621
for more info visit armony.co.za