Eskom was established by the South African government in 1923 as the National Electricity Supply Commission (ESCOM). The South African power company is now known as Eskom and is the largest electricity producer in Africa and ranks among the top 7 utilities in the world based on its power generation.
Eskom is responsible for the production of approximately 95% of the electricity in South Africa and 45% of the electricity used in Africa. The company operates a number of power plants, including the Koeberg Nuclear Power Plant and the Kendal Power Plant. It is currently chaired by Hendrik Johannes van der Bijl and is divided into 3 departments, namely power generation, transmission and distribution.
As a means of expanding the country’s skill set and empowering young students to achieve their career ambitions, Eskom offers scholarship programs to students studying in the following fields:
- Engineering: Electronic Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, Computer Engineering, Chemical Engineering
- Environmental Sciences
- Supply Chain
- Engineering: Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering
- Environmental Science
- Safety and Risk
- Boiler Makers
- Fitters & Turners
- Control & Instrumentation
- Power Plant Operators
Eskom are offering 2 types of funding options:
Full Eskom Bursary: for students with a strong academic background – students are required to work for Eskom for the equal duration of the bursary award.
Scholarships: for dependents or children of Eskom employees – students must have a strong academic background and the Eskom employee must have a minimum of 5 years service.
The following expenses are covered:
Full Eskom Bursary: registration and tuition fees, accommodation (or residence), meal costs, prescribed book allowance, PC allowance and a vacation allowance.
Scholarship: registration and tuition fees, accommodation (or residence), meal costs and prescribed book allowance.
Eskom Bursary Eligibile Requirements
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South African citizen
- In possession of a valid ID document
- Completed Matric and in possession of a National Senior Certificate (or equivalent)
- Agree to undergo a medical exam/ health declaration and interview
- Accepted for admission at a recognized higher education institution (full time studies)
Applicants must have the following minimum academic results before applying:
- Applicants intending to study at University: minimum HG (C) or “5” symbol in English, Mathematics and Physical Science.
- Applicants intending to study at Technikons/ University of Technology: minimum HG (D)/ SG (C) or “4” symbol in English, Mathematics and Physical Science.
- Applicants intending to study at Further Education and Training (FET): minimum HG (E)/ SG (D) or “3” symbol in English, Mathematics and Physical Science.
- Applicants currently studying at a higher education institution must have passed all registered subjects for the current year of study.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Download and complete the relevant application form (in full):
Full Eskom Bursary: Eskom Bursary Application Form (.pdf)
Scholarship (University students): HJ van der Bijl Application Form (.pdf)
Scholarship (Technikons/ University of Technology students): Straszacker Application Form (.pdf)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy of)
- Motivational Letter (affidavit to certify content)
- Latest university or school results
- Proof of enrollment/ acceptance at a tertiary study institution
Application packs must be submitted in one of the following ways:
1) Email: Mavumen@eskom.co.za
2) Hand deliver (to your closest Eskom office) AND the following address:
3) Post (to your closest Eskom office post box) AND the following post box:
Student Development Department
PO Box 1091
SELECTION PROCESS -Eskom Bursary 2023
1) Make sure that you submit your application well before the application closing date (as listed below).
2) Shortlisted applied will be required to attend an interview – students will be notified telephonically and via written correspondence.
3) The selection interview process will take place from August to October. Applicants may also be required to undergo a medical declaration or examination.
4) Final selection will occur and awards will be granted based on satisfactory academic results, a successful interview and sufficient medical fitness.
5) Students will be notified of the outcome of their application between October and December.
6) Successful applicants will receive comprehensive documentation regarding the Eskom bursary/ scholarship, as well as a contract and other documentation which must be completed and sent back to Eskom.
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact Eskom directly:
Eskom Bursary Contact Center
Tel: 011 800 6961
Very Useful Links