Founded in 1945, the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is South Africa’s main central research and development organization. CSIR is the largest R&D organization in Africa, accounting for about 10% of Africa’s entire R&D budget.
CSIR’s 7 main focus areas include: industry, energy, natural environment, built environment, digital environment, health and defense, and security. The company is headquartered in Pretoria, has its own campus, and has approximately 3,000 scientific and technological researchers. Some of the key issues that
intends to intervene to solve include: establishing a country that can continue to provide high-quality services to all South African citizens; developing employment opportunities and a strong economy; and actively promoting social and economic infrastructure (including water, energy, The development of transportation and information and communication technology networks).
CSIR invites talented young people to apply for grants if they want to pursue careers in innovation, technology development, and research. The scholarship aims to increase the number of blacks and women in engineering, science and technology, especially in:
- Computer Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Electronic Engineering
- Civil Engineering
The bursary will cover the following expenses: registration costs, tuition fees, prescribed textbooks allowance, accommodation, meal allowance, laptop allowance and a living allowance.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South African citizen
- Currently in Matric or have completed Matric
Current Matric students:
- Achieved a minimum of level 5 for English (First Language)/ level 5 for English (Second Language)
- Achieved a minimum of level 6 for Mathematics
- Achieved a minimum of level 6 for Physical Science
- Plan to study full-time towards a BSc/ BEng Engineering degree at a South African public university
Current tertiary students
- Currently studying full-time towards a BSc/ BEng Engineering degree at a South African public university
- Passed all previous subjects for your qualification
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Applications must be done online at: https://www.csir.co.za/bursaries
Read the privacy notice and then select the “Continue to apply” to proceed with your application.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy of)
- Matric mid year exam results (if currently in Matric of)
- Matric certificate OR final results (if completed Matric) (certified copy of)
- Full academic record (if at tertiary level)
If you are having difficulty applying, please contact the CSIR Bursary Office via the contact details below.
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any bursary queries, please contact:
Contact Person: Khuliswa Jakuja
CSIR Bursary Office
Tel: 012 841 2665
Very Useful Links